Wednesday 16 December 2009

Salt Dough Ornaments Tutorial

Making and decorating your own ornaments is a tradition that my family used to do and now my husband and I do it. It's a great family activity and makes many memories. Each year when we get the ornaments out it's fun to remember who made which one and to remember Christmases of the past.

So, for those of you who don't care if your tree has 'unique' ornaments....here's a DIY tutorial.





Description: Handmade painted Christmas ornaments

Materials Needed:

Salt

Flour

Water

Paint



1. Make this salt dough recipe


4 cups flour
1 cup salt
1.5 cups water
Knead for 5 minutes.
**This recipe makes A LOT!! I made about 30 cut-outs and still have extra salt dough for Everett to play with. If you're just doing it for ornaments and don't want left overs I would recommend doing half the recipe or even 1/4 depending on how many you want to make.

2. Roll out the dough and use cookie cutters to make the shape of your ornaments. You want the dough to be fairly thin, try to keep it about 1/8" thick or so, I would definitely not go more than 1/4".

3. Cut holes in the ornaments so they can be hung with ribbon, yarn, thread...etc. I used a pen cap to make my little circles.

4. Place ornaments on a greased baking sheet or with parchment paper.

5. Bake at 350 for about 40 minutes.

6. After they are cooled down, go to town and PAINT!

7. Run a ribbon through the hole that you so delicately cut out!

8. Hang on your tree and enjoy!

Everett painting his first ornament, good job!

I wish I could say this bell and the star were ones that I painted, or my husband, but, they aren't. We invited some friends over and they busted out their hidden talents of painting! Who knew!

Can you see the palm trees and the building on this one? My camera kept giving glare...

Check out this shepherd scene!! Good job!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails